Today's been a fairly decent day in the life of Jack. I had a Russian oral exam today (hahaha. Stop laughing, it's not that funny). I hate oral exams. I always get really worked up about them, my heart starts racing and my already shoddy concentration span gets even worse. But luckily today, I had a friend to do it with me. And the first part, a play/dialogue, went really well (except for a small error on my behalf, where I thought I asked can I use ты with you* [see below for geeky language explanation of what this is], and instead asked can we fuck?). The follow questions didn't go so well, but I think I managed to do alright, if the examiners could hear me over my heart beating.
I also have a confession to make. On only the second day since the start of attackofthebluehair.blogger.co.uk the blue hair has gone. The bet which I lost was to dye my hair blue for a week, which I kinda liked but I did get called mermaid a lot. But that week ended today, and in order to avoid disapproving grandparents over Easter, I've dyed it black over the top. My poor hair. Dyed or bleached four times in 8 days.... So anyway, tomorrow I may upload some before and after pictures, if I can work out how to do it.
Today's song quote is from a small band called the Summer Set. I saw them live around this time last year and they were soooooooo good. And as I was waiting for my Russian exam, having a bit of a nap in the common and listening to music, this song came on and I knew that it would have to be the quote for today, both being a uni fresher and really nervous. Give them a listen, they're really good, and their cover of Locked Out Of Heaven was amazing. The part in brackets is something a friend said to me today, and I told her that I would name my blog post today after it. But then I remembered it was supposed to be a song lyric, and I can't fail on the second day, so sorry Hannah, but it still gets a mention :D
I think that's all for today, or whatever remains of it (it's currently twenty to twelve here in sunny(?) England) and I really ought to finish before the clock strikes twelve.
I also need to think up a signing out slogan. Something like Peace Out, but not something that sounds quite as stupid, especially coming from my mouth. Comment any suggestions and if I like one, I'll pick it (assuming I get any comments #wishfulthinking)
<insert cool signing out slogan thingy here>
Jack
Song: The Boys You Do (Get Back At You)
Artist: The Summer Set
Album: Love Like This
* In most European languages there is what's called the T-V distinction. What that means is that there are two ways of saying you, one being singular and informal, like you'd use with your mates, and the other for more than one person, or someone you're being polite to, like a stranger or a teacher. It's called the T-V distinction because many languages have the singular form beginning with a T, like tu in French or ты in Russian, whilst the more formal or plural version begins with a V (vous or вы in Russian [yes в is sounded like a v, don't ask why, that's a lesson for another day]). English used to have such a distinction with thee and thou, but we have now lost it, except for in some dialects. This means it can be hard to translate sentences such as Tutoie-moi into English as this would literally be "Use tu when you're saying you to me", so yeah if my sentence that was asterisked in the main content sounds weird, it's because it's nearly untranslatable.
No comments:
Post a Comment